Tag Archives: coding
The interface is organized quite well – with the stage taking up the bulk of the space, followed by the area for the programming script.
The coding blocks are separated into the following categories: Triggering, Motion, Looks, Sound, Control, and End.
Each activity has the ability to be saved, for easy access the next time the app is opened.
This app provides even young students with an introduction to coding – or computer programming. The Hopscotch computer programming language is derived from Scratch by those at MIT. It provides students with a choice of building blocks in 6 categories. The blocks control the movement and actions of chosen characters. Not only do students learn the fundamentals of coding, but they also have the opportunity to hone their critical thinking and problem solving skills.
The Hopscotch website has a link to their ‘Hour of Code’ tutorial and to 7 lessons that can be used in a classroom or small group setting. The app itself has links to existing projects and a community section where projects can be shared and remixed.
- Movement: move, rotate, change y by, change x by, set rotation, set position, set speed
- Drawing: move with trail, set line width, set line color, clear
- Control Flow: repeat/end, wait
- Appearance: grow, shrink, set invisibility, change pose, bring to front, send to back
- Values: set value, change value
- Calculator: random